welcome message

Who  We Are


The  Northeastern Conference of Seventh-day Adventists is a religious non-profit organization of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventist that administers 183 churches, 30 missions and 9 groups and 15 parochial schools within the states of Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

The churches, located primarily within the urban centers of the cities within the Conference territory, comprise a membership totaling 48,981 with a congregational demographic make-up of Afro-American/Caribbean, Hispanic, Haitian, Portuguese, Ghanaian, and Nigerian members.
In addition to the churches and schools, the Northeastern Conference owns and operates a 98-acre camp located in Hyde Park, New York, and throughout its storied history, has and does operate an annual summer camp program for boys and girls ages 8 through 15.

OUR MISSION

The mission of the Northeastern Conference is “to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, to transform all people within its territory and prepare them for His imminent return”. The ministries of the Conference consist of evangelism, leadership training, and varied community outreach programs; and are carried out through its churches and schools.

Message from our current

President Dr. Abraham Jules

“Since the inception of our conference in 1945, our mission has been to punch holes in the moral darkness into which sin has plunged us, by vigorously engaging in the spread of the Good News of Salvation. That evangelistic fervor has catapulted our conference to be among one of the largest conferences in the North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists.”

Play Video

who we are

Conference Profile

For more than 75 years, we’ve been passionate about achieving better results for our clients.


The  Northeastern Conference of Seventh-day Adventists is a religious non-profit organization of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventist that administers 176 churches and 15 parochial schools within the states of Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

The 200 churches, located primarily within the urban centers of the cities within the Conference territory, comprise a membership totaling 60,000 with a congregational demographic make-up of Afro-American/Caribbean, Hispanic, Haitian, Portuguese, Ghanaian and Nigerian members.
In addition to the churches and schools, the Northeastern Conference owns and operates a 98 acre camp located in Hyde Park, New York, and throughout its storied history, has and does operate an annual summer camp program for boys and girls ages 8 through 15.

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ

Learn more about the Seventh-day Adventist Church


The religious denomination known as Seventh-day Adventist had its rise about the middle of the nineteenth century. The name is based upon two of the distinctive beliefs they hold, namely, the observance of the Sabbath of the Scriptures, and the imminent, personal second advent of Christ.

In those years, not only in the United States, but in other countries of the world, many students of Bible prophecy became convinced that the second advent was drawing near, and this belief resulted in a great religious awakening, in Britain, in some countries of the Continent of Europe, and in North America.

Conference
Established
Member
Congregations
+
Members
Languages
Spoken

important milestones

Conference Timeline

How It All Began

The Negro members hip had grown to the degree that the necessity of making a singular appeal to this largest minority within the American population became apparent.

The number of people won to the church in communities such as Harlem and the Bedford-Stuyvesant area in Brooklyn was not commensurate wit the vast opportunities available in a city such as New York.

The existence of such a situation here and else ware was recognized by the General Conference and resulted in the organization of what came to be known as Regional Conferences.

October 3, 1944
Organization of Our Conference
On October 3, 1944, the Negro constituency of the Atlantic Union Conference came together in New York to organize the Northeastern Conference and elected Louis H. Bland as president; Lionel Irons, Secretary-Treasury; Jonathan E. Roache, secretary for the educational and Missionary Volunteer departments; and James J. North, home missionary and Sabbath School departments secretary.
October 3, 1944
1945
Temporary Headquarters
Temporary quarters on 127th Street, New York City, served the conference until a building could be purchased at 560 West 150th Street, which housed the conference office, Book and Bible House, church school, and another congregation – a nucleus from the Ephesus church – that assumed the name of City Tabernacle. This congregation has experienced such steady growth that its membership exceeded 800 in 1974.
1945
December 1945
Membership Count 2,468
Since it began to operate (January 1, 1945), the Northeastern Conference has made continued progress. The membership at the close of 1945 was 2,468, with a working force of 21 plus 27 colporteurs.
December 1945
1952
Baptisims
In 1952 there were 163 baptisms.
1952
December 1961
Membership Count 7,179
At the close of 1961 it was 7,179, with a working force of approximately 45.
December 1961
1962
The Ephesus Church growth
The Ephesus church, the largest, soon grew to 1600 members, and with an expanded program of evangelism, composed of health lectures and Sunday night meetings, to which were invited diplomats of several African and Asian countries, the membership grew to 2,200 in 1962.
1962
1963-1973
Prolific growth
In 1973 there were 1,437. The period 1963-1973 showed very prolific growth within the Northeastern Conference. The membership doubled, increasing from 8,097 to 16, 328.
1963-1973
1975
Largest Conference in the Union
During the compiling of this information (1975), the membership was more than double that of any other conference in the Atlantic Union.
1975
Spring of 1975
Headquarters moved to Queens
In the spring of 1975 the Northeastern Conference moved its headquarters from 560 West 150th Street, New York City, to its present office building.
Spring of 1975