The Purpose of Church Communication
The multi-faceted role of the Communication Department is to communicate with constituents on behalf of the Northeastern Conference Administration, communicate with communities throughout the Conference territory about the Seventh-day Adventist Church—either directly or indirectly through local church communication directors—and serve as a resource for pastors, local church leaders, and Conference office departmental directors and support staff.
As a church communication leader your duties and responsibilities
are many and varied. Listed below are just a few items to keep in mind. Do not let the number of items alarm you, as many of them do not need to be done simultaneously. To begin, pick the items that you are most comfortable doing from the following list, and add additional items to your schedule as you become better equipped and proficient:
- Watch secular press for opportunities for the church to participate in discussions on matters of current concern.
- Cover church activities for news and announcement of church programs and serve as a source of information about the church for communication media. Take photos or arrange for photo coverage of church activities.
- Discover feature possibilities in the local church and make them available to the press.
- Report special church events to the Conference Communication Director for possible use on the website and/or in The Atlantic Union Gleaner.
- Produce a small church newsletter giving announcements and activities of the church that can be sent to former members as well as to present.
Helpful Resources and Links
- Church Marketing Plan
- Weekly Communications Checklist
- Adventist Church Connect
- Social Media Guidelines
- Social Media Guidelines Template
- Church Communication Leader Description
- Society of Adventist Communicators
- Adventist News Network
- Adventist Review
- NAD Communication Department
- North American Division NewsPoints
- Atlantic Union Gleaner Online
- Atlantic Union Adventist Media (AUAM)
Communication Team Registration Link https://forms.gle/SrimuWXSxwzRsCpQA